Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Postscript {two}

Web-surfing one night, I happened upon a darling apron that I thought would be a perfect gift for my new daughter-in-law. The Cloud9 post led me straight to my sewing book shelf, where luckily I indeed had a copy of i love patchwork by Rashida Coleman-Hale, and the necessary pattern for the Patchwork Bordered Apron.
I had just enough navy Essex, which I thought would give the apron a nice feel and weight, as well as be a sweet 'background' for the loulouthi I'd chosen as the main patchwork fabric. I added in a few coordinating prints to add to the patchy look, but you can get a little peek at the apron's lining below - pure loulouthi.

A couple of quilted potholders seemed to be in order so I used the same prints as the apron, mirroring the 9-patch pocket, binding in more Essex and quilting a la teaginny Designs.
This set was a really satisfying sew, and hopefully will be useful, while adding a bright, fun touch to the newlyweds' kitchen.

11 comments:

  1. The navy Essex was the perfect choice- practical and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goodness this is CUTE! Hmm that book is somewhere, packed up in a box in the garage with it's friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lively, pretty, practical and made especially for your daughter-in-law. She'll be thrilled for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a wonderful gift. Love the idea of making the hotpads to coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That apron is so cute! Adding the
    pot holders is perfect. What a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too cute! I might just have to make this for a housewarming gift! Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All so cute, I love love linen, can you tell the color you call Flax.. I didnt see it, is it the Camel color.

    ReplyDelete